Google Ads displays your ad to potential patients who are interested in the foot and ankle care services you provide. Like you, other podiatrists and health care providers bid on foot and ankle search terms or keywords, and the auction winners are placed in the best position.
Many factors impact your ability for your clinic to be seen by potential patients. Let’s cover them below, plus some podiatry-specific Google Ads examples.
AdRank and Quality Score
AdRank determines if your ad will show up, and Quality Score, along with your max bid, determines your AdRank. Remember, your Quality Score is based on your ad’s quality and relevance, and Google determines that by how many clicks your ad receives – your Click-Through Rate (CTR). Your CTR will vary based on how well your ad matches the searcher’s intent, which is measure by 3 factors:
1. The relevance of your keywords
2. If the written copy of your ad and call-to-action (CTA) delivers the expected result
3. The content and usability of the landing page on your website
Your QS is the first place to focus your attention when you first create your Google Ads campaign. Because the higher your QS, the less you’ll pay per click and the better placement you’ll get.
Location Near Your Clinic
Google Ads lets you choose the geographical area where your ad will be shown. So, this can be a reasonable radius around your clinic or specific neighborhoods/communities nearby. Below is an example of limiting the Google Ads to 20 miles radius around Austin, TX.
Your location settings will play a big role in where your ads show up. For instance, if your clinic is located in Chicago, someone in New York that enters “podiatry clinic” will not see your result, no matter how high your AdRank. That’s because Google only display results that people will actually click on, even when you’re paying.
Keyword research is where you get in the shoes of your ideal patient. What are they typing into Google that will take them from their mobile phone into your treatment chair?
Not all keywords are equal. So it’s vital to bid on keywords that generate the desired result, like a new patient appointment.
Your keywords need to match their search intent closely. That’s because Google matches your ad with search queries based on the keywords you selected.
Headline and Description
Your ad’s text can be the difference between a click on your ad and a click on another clinic’s ad. Your ad copy must match the searcher’s intent is aligned with your target keywords and addresses the potential patient’s problem with a clear solution.
To illustrate what I mean, let’s take a look at an example.
A search for “plantar fasciitis doctor near me” in San Francisco yielded this result. The ad’s text is to the point and uses the limited space wisely to convey their clinic’s services and connect with their intended audience.
Urgently Ortho knew enough to put the keyword “plantar fasciitis” in their headline, so we instantly know that this ad matches the solution we’re looking for.
They use words like “Urgent,” “Faster,” and “Walk-Ins Welcome” in the description to highlight the fact that we’d save time, don’t need an appointment, and avoid an expensive and time-consuming trip to the ER.
Ads like this will get you clicks, but to turn website visitors into new patients, an optimized landing page is essential.
Ad Extensions give your clinic extra real estate on the search results page. They are a valuable part of your Google ad because they’re free, and they give potential patients additional information and another reason to click your ad. The extensions that work best for podiatrists fall into three categories:
- Sitelink Extensions, as the name suggests, extend the height of your ad — helping you stand out — and provide additional links to different parts of your clinic’s website. Not only do they push the competition further down the page, but they give potential patients additional reasons to click your ad.
- Call Extensions allow you to share your phone number in your ad so potential patients can immediately reach out to you. If your is ready to answer these calls, it’s a valuable way to generate patient visits to your clinic.
- Location Extensions include your clinic’s location within your ad so Google can offer searchers a link to a map so they can easily find you. This option is great for podiatry clinics, and it works well for search queries like “podiatrist near me” or “foot doctor near me.”